FRU remove/replace: Hard Disk Drive Part#
Proliant Hard Disk Drive removal
Caution! When replacing a hot-pluggable drive, follow these guidelines to prevent data loss:
- Never remove more than one drive at a time (two drives if you are using Advanced Data Guarding).
- Never remove a drive while another drive is being rebuilt.
- If the system has an online spare drive, wait for it to complete rebuilding before replacing the failed drive.
- If you replace a drive while the system is off, it may be necessary to rebuild the replaced drive.
Caution! Removing more than one drive at a time can cause the enclosure to overheat. Install a drive or drive blank as soon as possible.
- Press the thumb latch and pull the ejector lever to the full open position.
- Pull the drive out of the enclosure drive bay.
- If installing a hard drive blank in place of the drive, insert the blank into the bay until it clicks into place.
Proliant Hard Disk Drive replacement
- If a drive blank must be removed to install a new drive, squeeze the tabs to unlock the drive blank. Continue to squeeze the tabs while sliding the drive blank out of the drive bay.
- When installing a replacement drive, press the thumb latch and pull the ejector lever to the full open position.
- Insert the drive into the bay, sliding it in completely. Make sure the ejector lever is in the full open position to ensure a correct latch.
- Close the ejector lever against the front of the drive until it clicks into the thumb latch.
- Confirm that the drive is firmly seated and that the ejector lever is latched.
Caution! Data can be lost if the drive is not firmly seated.
- Observe the drive status LEDs to confirm that the replacement drive is functioning properly.